Saturday, June 26, 2004

Religious freedom in Ukraine

Today's post is going to be a short one. I'll have more to say on Monday. I just ran across a FANTASTIC speech given by Elder Russell M. Nelson, an apostle in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, last month in Ukraine about religious freedom. Those of you who know me well might be aware that I spent the last two summers working with the Ukrainian Association of Researchers of Religion and Religious Studies Department of the Institute of Philosophy of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. I know that title is quite a mouthful, and the speech is kind of long, as well, but it's worth your time. I can't quite explain how much the things he says here affect me, but they reach pretty deep into my core feelings of the need for tolerance, freedom, and understanding in everyone's search to become the people we want to be. I'm glad there are people out there like Elder Nelson who are not just more eloquent than I, but who apply the principles they preach in ways that I need to do better in, as well.

No comments: